1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question re: Turning (Brinsea mini advance)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RottenFlower, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Hi, all.

I just set 7 crested cream legbar eggs at about 8:30pm EST last night.

I have my incubator set for basically auto everything, as this is my first time attempting to hatch eggs.

I do have a question, though: How often should I set my incubator to turn my eggs? I have no idea. :(

TYIA.

2. bmmkh

bmmkh Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2015
    We have automatic turners on our incubators.. they turn every 2 hours. If you don't have an automatic turner they have to be turned at least twice a day.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The egg turner I have there is no setting, it just turns them in 2 hour intervals. No disrespect to previous poster but when hand turning the recommendation is at least 3 times a day the more the better, but always an odd number before stopping at night for bed. This prevents the eggs from always being left on the same side night after night so they aren't spending the longest amount of rest on the same side.

4. bmmkh

bmmkh Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2015
    I agree It is better for the eggs to be turned more often and our turner doesn't have settings either, just turns every 2 hrs too. When we started we had a Styrofoam Hubavator and only turned eggs twice a day or every 12 hrs we had good hatches. We hatched chickens, ducks, quail, pheasants, and turkeys. If you are using a Styrofoam incubator the more often you take off the lid the more humidity you loose this can cause problems when the eggs get ready to hatch.

5. My incubator has an automatic turner that I can set for specific intervals; my questions is how frequently the eggs need to be turned. Right now, it's set to turn every two hours, but it can be changed if needed.

6. bmmkh

bmmkh Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2015
    I would leave it the way it is. Hope you have a good hatch.

7. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I would leave it on that as well.

8. rnchick74

rnchick74 Urban Chick Keeper

May 3, 2014
    Louisville KY
    The default turning interval for this model is 45 minutes. For shipped eggs, I generally lengthen to 1-1.5 hrs if I have concerns about detached air cells. Otherwise I leave it at the default. It's doing all the work for you, so let it!

Make sure that you are using the turning plate the right way - the high ridges go up. If your eggs aren't turning as much as you think they should, then turn the plate over. They should be touching the bottom of the incubator through the holes in the plate.

Make sure to use the chart in the manual to determine the angle that they are turning - the larger the egg, the higher the angle. 8 is average for most med/large eggs. If you have a mixed hatch, go with the angle for the largest egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by