Question - reasons for undeveloped eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CountryMom, Aug 26, 2008.

1. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    I am a newcomer as most of you know. I have had three sets of shipped eggs and one set of local eggs that I have worked on in the bator this year. I also am working on some of my own quail eggs at the moment with promising results. Now, being new to this I feel like I am just getting the hang of candling. And of course of hatching. I now also realize that my humidity is much better down between 55 to 60% for hatching as I basically drown the local eggs I got leaving only one baby quail to raise. Bad moment. All of those eggs had chicks in them and were alive up until the end darn it.

So my question is, what would cause an egg other than being infertile to not develop at all? I have one set of shipped eggs that over half are basically cooked yokes. My other shipped eggs have developed pretty good with good results other than my humidity mistake. Out of my 165 quail eggs of my own I have only found two undeveloped and chalk that up to being infertile. But the percentage there isn't horrible to say the least. And those are not shipped.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    your humidity is still high at 55-60, you should keep it more like 35-45 day 1-18 and then up it to 60-65 day 18-21

3. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Ok, I guess I wasn't very clear on my post. I have been in the 30's for the humidity up until the time to stop turning. On previous batches I went up to 70% and was consistant. That is when I drowned half the batch of chicken eggs and all the coturnix in the next batch but the one. So I am on target with humidity for the beginning. My last batch of quail (my own) I had the humidity low in the beginning and then upped it to about 60%. Had a good hatch then. Now, I have not had an issue either time with lack of developement. And I have some more quail eggs in there now with only 2 that are not developed. However, these are from my birds. The chicken eggs I have now were shipped and only a third of them have developed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by