Question regarding blue egg layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by woody1, Nov 11, 2011.

1. woody1

woody1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Just North of the PRK
    For those of you that have easter eggers, how well do your girls lay? We've never had them before (easter eggers that is) but always had various brown egg layers. We currently have 6 of each. The brown egg girls are laying about 90%, as in 6 eggs most days and nearly always 5 on their off days. I know the brown egg girls are egg-laying machines. The 6 blue egg girls are only averaging about 50-60%. I know they are all laying but with the exception of one, I don't know who lays what or how much. I have no idea where our girls came from as we got 'em at the feed store. Thanks for anyreplies we get. Woody

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    My EEs don't lay quite as often as my brown egg layers - but it's close. I love the shades of green and blue. I have a few Araucanas (not EEs but true Araucanas) that are 3 months old - can't wait to see the color of their eggs.

3. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    The thing about easter eggers is that they are a mixed bag when it comes to all traits, including egg laying. I've heard people describe their easter eggers as being very consistent, proliferative layers and I've heard others describe them as being very poor layers. I have 3 Easter Eggers, all of them lay green eggs. One was my most reliable layer until she went into her molt, the first to lay and gave us a large green egg every day to every other day. One has a genetic defect causing her beak to be badly misaligned and is a pretty good layer, a medium green egg every other day on average and so far is one of only two of my girls who hasn't started her molt yet. The third totally fails at being an egg layer. She was the last of my chickens to start laying and often lays from the roost or out in the run. Her eggs are usually large to extra large, but extremely thin shelled, often shell-less, and prone to breaking. They are also prone to being wrapped in a slimy outer membrane. It's a shame because she's our best forager and has an awesome personality. But she will be going to the crock pot this fall before we have to cull her for internal laying or egg binding.

4. lcammack

lcammack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    We have 3 EE's and they have been very consitent and reliable since they started laying. They all lay 6 days a week. We also have 3 BR's and they are pretty good, except one that only layed turtle eggs (soft, jello, thin shelled eggs) only and now isn't laying at all. I would say the EE's have been great. We get one green, one light blue, and one blue egg.

5. woody1

woody1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Just North of the PRK
    Thanks for the replies. Yesterday the 6 blue eggers layed 4, the 6 brown egg girls each layed one.. Regards, Woody

6. Arkantex

Arkantex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    Well I am interrested to see how my EE is going to lay. She should show up a week from tomorrow. My wife still doesn't know what to think about having a chicken that layes gree/ blue eggs. When she asked me why I ordered one I told her, " Well how else do you expect us to have green eggs and ham if we don't have green eggs!"

7. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I have EEs in my flock and I agree that it varies on egg productivity. One will only lay 4-5 week and less during molt, yet my other one lays 5-7 week even during molt.

8. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Last week out roo got friendly with one of our EE, so I knew she would be laying within the week. Today was the day! We got a green egg! [​IMG]

Due to the time change, and colder temps, we have gone from 6 a day from 7 hens laying, to about 4 - 5 a day now with 8 hens laying. Our EE are 5 months old, and our BR & BO are 6 months old. We still have 2 BO who are not laying, and 2, 4 1/2 month old Light Brahmas who are not laying. I take my cue from our roo, if he is being friendly, they are mature and will start laying.

9. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Prior to moulting my EE, Doris, laid every other day.

10. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    My EE laid 5-6 eggs a week, now she is molting and we haven't had an egg from her in a while. Poor thing looks horrible!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by