Question regarding coop flooring

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ShoeEars, Apr 16, 2012.

1. ShoeEars

ShoeEars Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2012
    Fresno/Clovis, CA
    Ok, so I've been looking at some tractor coop designs to get ready to build a coop for my three chicks. My question is could chicken wire be used as flooring for the part of the coop that houses the chickens? I see people using linoleum as flooring, but no chicken wire, why is that?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  2. StephanieH

StephanieH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    Not sure if you are talking about a raised coop or not but all the chicken wire I've seen would be really wide for chickens to walk on and not have feet fall through. It you are talking about not raised, I'd still worry about their feet on the wire, but I think some folks do it, so maybe they can chime in. Also, I think linoleum is to make it easy to clean. If you wanted to really clean a wire floor flat on the ground, you'd have to move it.

3. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    i think wire would be very uncomfortable to stand on, wood covered with linoleum is easy to clean and adds an insulation factor. add some straw and/or pine chips and chickens are happy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by