1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question regarding detached air sac on shipped eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by EngleAcres, Mar 3, 2016.

1. EngleAcres

EngleAcres Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2016
    Hi,
    I have had several eggs shipped to me recently. The first ones I let settle for 24ish hours and put in the incubator (older 1502). At day 10 I candled 3 different sets of eggs I had shipped. One set all had detached air sacs and no embryo growing inside.

I decided the next eggs I got I would check and also do some research on incubating eggs with detached air sacs. I read you can try setting the eggs in a carton with the big side up and incubate them for 48 hours before putting them in the egg turner. What has Everyone had luck or no luck doing? I just want the eggs to have the best chance of hatching possible. Thanks!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I've had pretty decent luck keeping them upright. I put them in the turner and leave it off for the first 4 days. Sometimes they settle back into place and stick there, sometimes not. For the ones that don't, I cut little cups out of the carton for each egg and either stuff them around the edges of the turner, or move them to their own incubator if I have one that's not in use. I then gently lean them in the cups in hopes of keeping them in place.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  3. CyndiD

CyndiD Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    Hi, when i received my shipped eggs (the box they were shipped in had a large dent in one of the bottom corners) I gently unwrapped them all (13), placed them in an egg carton, AC up for 1.5 to 2 days, in my room that i keep at 70 degrees. then i candled ea egg and labled them. i only turned the eggs on their sides slightly to candle, i didnt want to turn them too much. i saw things in the AC end that i have never seen before; pics below. then I put them in my heated bator (air circulating) in the egg turner tray, did not turn the turner on, then, on day 4 or 5 i put the eggs in my still air bator, (no turner) layed them on their side and turned them 5 times a day. on day 8 i candled again and only 1 egg had any sign of growth and it was a Blood Ring, all the other eggs, nothing.
    i candled on day 11, nothing, except one egg look a little dark (yolk), day 12 (today) nothing going on with any eggs. i just turned the bator off. I will takes eggs out and clean bator.
    the lady i bought eggs from is shipping me another batch... VERY PROFESSIONAL AND NICE OF HER. THANK YOU.
    [​IMG] looks like a blood ring to me.
    [​IMG] looks like a detatched AC to me?
    [​IMG] ditto

this is my first experience with wonky air cells and shipped eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by