1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question regarding heat lamp and cold winter weather.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Oct 29, 2011.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    It is very cold outside and we are going to be getting snow so I put a heat lamp in the coop for my 6 hens. They are about 6-7 months old now. I was wondering how high it should be from the floor of the coop? I want the girls to stay warm but I don't want to roast them! [​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Personally, I wouldn't use a heat lamp. The risk of fire is too high, and the birds really don't need it. If you have a coop where they can stay dry, they can tolerate temps well below freezing just fine. Those feathers are remarkably insulating. I feel using a lamp keeps them acclimated to warmer temps and makes for less hardy birds. Then, if the power goes out, etc, your birds aren't used to the cold and can suffer ill effects. They can truely handle sub-zero temps at night, as long as they're dry and have each other to snuggle with.

If you're determined to use a lamp, I'm really not sure how you could mount it above them in most coops. It would need to be I'd imagine at least three feet above the roost, and you'd need to have enough space so they could move out from under it, just like brooding baby chicks.

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:Thank you. I ended up unplugging it. I have some cracked corn for them as well as the coop is insulated. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by