1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question regarding incubation.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickpea, Jan 29, 2007.

1. chickpea

chickpea New Egg

Jan 29, 2007
    I am new to the forum. I have had chickens for about 2 years now and I want to try to hatch my own. I asked for an incubator for Christmas this year, and my family blessed with me two identical Hovabator with auto egg turners. Im sure they are just wating for a grand hatch! In my efforts to planning for the arrival of several chicks to brood, I discovered I will be out of town for aprox 3 days during the incubation period. With my lack of experience, Im curious to just how sensitive these type incubators can be to temp and humidity change. Depending on which day I set the eggs, I will be away sometime from day 12-16. Does anyone have any thoughts on my concerns. Leaving them unattended for 3 days without anyone to monitor the temp and humidity is worrisome.
    Thanks
    Chickpea

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Once you have it set, you can leave for days until the 18 th day, then some changes must be made. Follow the directions that came with the unit and all will be OK

3. chickpea

chickpea New Egg

Jan 29, 2007
    Great Thanks, The more I read, the more concerned I became. The instructions with the incubator seems easy enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by