Question regarding my Black Austhrorps

FlatcreekFarmGirl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Flatcreek
The board said that I do have black austhrorps, but I was wondering...most of the pics that I see of BAs they have small combs. Mine do not have any..you can barely see a formation of an upside down "V"...are they true black austhrorps? They are 5 1/2 weeks old. I have three of them and one has a smaller tail so i figure its a roo but no comb?

28548_hpnx2159.jpg

28548_hpnx2183.jpg

28548_hpnx2185.jpg

I have BA chickens ( 4 hens and 1 rooster) and I have 30 baby chicks . That one in the picture looks like a pullet (hen) to me!

That looks like a pea comb to me. Probably not a black australorp, but not sure what you have. Where did you get the bird? That may help us determine the breed. Also, what color is the bottom of the feet?

I got them from TSC. If I remember correctly their feet are pinkish (light color) on the bottoms? They are sleeping right now in the coop so I don't want to bother them
tongue.png
. They really don't like to be picked up, they are not as nice as my red stars.

They look just like everybody elses BAs but mine don't have any combs and they are about the same ages that other member are showing and stating that their chickens are pullets?

A lot of black chicks look similar flatcreekfarmgirl, but it doesn't make a breed.
wink.png
Could be an EE or Sumatra, but I'm just throwing them out there as examples of other black birds. Do you have any idea where they get their chicks- which hatchery? You could look through that hatchery catalog to see what black breeds they sell.

I am new to all of this and I have become obsessed with my 8 little chickens and this message board
big_smile.png
! It really doesn't matter what breed they are I will still keep them. Since this is my first batch I have so many questions.
Of course the sales people at TSC really can't answer any questions about the chicks they are selling. So you just have to figure it out on your own. Hopefully next year I will order a couple more but I will order from a hatchery so i know exactly what they are.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom