1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question regarding New Hampshire Red or Red Sex Link

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by caseebeths, Nov 16, 2013.

1. caseebeths

caseebeths Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    I have been raising New Hampshire Reds in a separate pen. I put a delaware pullet in there over the summer and she has started laying. It says she will produce red sex links with my New Hampshire Red Rooster. Will I be able to tell the red sex links apart from the New Hampshire Red Chicks???

2. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

My RSL had chipmunk stripes on their backs, but I don't know what they were a cross of. The male sex links should be mostly white.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That’s a good question. Not sure I have a good answer. I’ve never done that specific cross.

You will easily be able to tell the males. They will be yellow. If all you have are New Hampshires and that Delaware pullet, you will have absolutely no doubt which ones are male from that Delaware.

The females from the New Hampshire rooster over Delaware hen are questionable. I just don’t know if the down will be any different between the New Hampshire chicks and the females from that cross. The New Hampshire chicks will be sort of a more solid red. It’s possible the ones from that cross will be chipmunk or something like that. It’s quite possible when you see them side by side they will stand out, but I’m not sure.

When they get their adult plumage I think you will be able to tell them apart. I don’t know exactly what the differences will be, maybe the shade of red or maybe black pattern feathers, but I think there will be a difference. As I said, I haven’t done that specific cross.

1 person likes this.
  4. caseebeths

caseebeths Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    What are the black pattern feathers??

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That’s a good question. Chickens come in a ground color. That's the basic color. But there are many possible patterns they could have. Say you have a red chicken with a black tail. The red is the ground color and the black tail is the pattern color. That pattern may be some black feathers around the neck or maybe on the wings. With a Speckled Sussex, you get a red feather with a black bar near the tip bordering a white spot on the tip. The black and white are pattern colors, the red the ground color. With a Barred Rock the ground color is black and the pattern color is white.

Your New Hampshire should have some black on the tail and probably nowhere else. The red female from that cross would probably have a black tail also but might have black around the neck, much like the Delaware hen does. As I said, I haven’t done that specific cross but I have made a few other crosses. You often can tell the differences when looking at them side by side, either the shade of red or by some pattern color showing up where it’s not expected.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm with Ridgerunner--the males should be obvious, but the females will probably look a lot like both genders of the New Hamp chicks. If you only incubate her eggs, shouldn't be a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by