Question regarding Varity of breeds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cajunlizz, Jun 29, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

hubby will be given 10 -- 8 week old bantams from a friend .

Should we keep them separated from the rest of the flock for awhile ?

We have NOW a combination of RIR's , Black Austulorps , and barred rocks ... 1 Bantam . ALL different ages , NOW 10 new bantams . PLEASE ADVISE .

I am thinking of keeping them separated for about a week or so . [​IMG] ????

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  2. hwerner

hwerner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    Independence, KS
    Yes, you should keep them seperated for a bit due to size difference. They will have to earn thier pecking order rights and bantams are pretty small. I have bantams and several different large breeds. I keep all of my bantams in a baby coop until about 5-6 months old before introducing them to the "big house". They still tend to get picked on but I also leave them little hiding places upon moving them with the big girls and boys. If you don't have anywhere else to house them seperately at, you can make a boxed style house in coop out of poultry netting and boards. Just make sure that only they can get in and out so that a bigger one doesn't get in and hurt them. Also, if you do this, I like to put seperate food and waters in with them to insure that they get to eat and drink without being bullied.

3. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:5 - 6 months ? wow . the rest of my teens have been mixed with the rest of the flock since they were 10 weeks old ......

DO you have pictures of your bantams and ages so I can see their sizes .

4. hwerner

Jun 28, 2008
    Independence, KS
    I've got some, I'll post shortly.

5. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    TYVM . [​IMG]

6. hwerner

Jun 28, 2008
    Independence, KS
    All pics are from about 8 months of age. I have several more bantams, but these are my favorites.

1'st is Charcoal, blue modern game very front of pic

[​IMG]

J.R. He's part game and campine bantam, dad was old english game, mom was campine

[​IMG]

Snowflake, she's somekind of game; but not sure what

[​IMG]

right front of pic is Mr. Cocky (you can imagine how he got his name), and Spoo, daughter of Speckles

[​IMG]

Last but not least is Speckles (RIP, we lost her to neighbors dog recently)

[​IMG]

7. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    thank you for sharing .....

Great looking bunch . :)

8. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    thank you for sharing .....

Great looking bunch . :)

the pic with Mr. Cooky , the hen that is pecking something on the ground , what kind of hen is she ?

She looks alot like the 1 and only bantam I have now , FIESTY HEN to say the least . She went broody about a month ago , NO EGGS , NO ROOSTER , get the picture ? She simply wanted to have her way . SIT on a nest for like 2 weeks , we could hardly go near her at all .

NOW that she is OUT of her boody stage , its been 2 weeks and she has NOT regained her laying abilities . She was laying everyday .

Any suggestions ?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  9. hwerner

Jun 28, 2008
    Independence, KS
    Quote:I believe Spoo is Old english game and campne mix. Not sure though. At her time Lil' Roo was the only Bantam rooster we had and he was Old English Game, Her mother was Campine as far as I know. I say this because she is identical to my Campine, Speckles, other than her coloring is brown and black instead of silver and black.

As far as your fiesty one wanting to go broody, all the advice I can offer is if you have mans to fertile eggs get her some. Chances are she won't lay unti she hatches, been there done that. We have some broody cochin bantams now that I decided to let hatch out some eggs. I endend up giving in just because they had been this way since begining of May. I was told a true broody won't quit until they hatch some babies. If she is the same breed of Spoo, she'll be broody alot. Spoo's always broody and so are and were her siblings and mama hen.

Alot of people do sell or even just give away fertile eggs, run an add. If you were closer, I'd be more than glad to give you some. I just don't like the idea of shipping them, since they are so fragile. But if nothing else fails, let me know and I'll ship some out to you for just the price of postage.

10. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    oh thanks for the offer . BUT I really think hubby has been hinting around to get at least 1 rooster . and if thats the case , HE might let me set at least a few eggs under her if she becomes broody again .

We just really DID NOT want to raise baby chicks from hatching stage .

Our 30 teens were 1 week old when we got them and saved ALL but 1. they are now about 14 weeks old , I GUESS they will be laying soon and majority of the bunch will be broody from time to time . MR. MIKE ( HUBBY ) will probably have to give in to letting them go thru the full broody stage and hatching . LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by