1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question: remove metal objects in the winter

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sunflour, Nov 9, 2014.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I have a metal human baby tub with sand in my chicken's run. Last year I read metal can pose problems in the winter cold to their feet stepping on cold metal/freezing. I'm in GA with mild winters, but a lot of days will go below freezing. Do you think I should remove the metal pan til spring? Or am I just being to OCD?

Their entire coop and run is sand, so plenty of places to bathe. But they do love to sit or bathe in the tub.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    ? I live in NJ where are winters are somewhat colder than yours. Never had a chicken get 'frozen' to anything metal in my 73 years - though I did see a kid touch his tongue to the metal runner of a sled - not pretty, not pretty at all. It is easier to knock ice out of those little rubber tubs for winter watering.

1 person likes this.
  3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    @sourland

Thank you so much. That's what my DH said when I was deciding today. My hens thank you, they love the tub.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree with Sourland--just skin touching metal isn't a problem. I keep galvanized troughs in the run for my birds to hide in and perch on, never any sticking issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by