Question....rooster shocked me

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kjxoxo1, Mar 19, 2012.

1. kjxoxo1

kjxoxo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Okay....first Im a newbie and learn things daily....this afternoon while feeding and watering my flock...my Cornish X rooster tried to mount one of my Cornish X hen. These two were born Thanksgiving week which would make them 18 weeks old. Does this mean that eggs may soon be in the making from them or the rest of my flock (Black Australorps and Variety of Guineas). My guineas have been acting really crazy of late....not sure if it is because they are growing up and this is normal or if it is mating season. I really really want some eggs to eat!!! Thanks for any insight!!

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    You don't need a rooster for your hens to lay eggs.

Cornish Cross chickens are meant to be butchered at about 6 to 8 weeks old. Also, Cornish Cross roosters can't reproduce because their chest is too wide.

I can't say why your guineas are acting differently. What are they doing?

Your Black Australorps should start laying eggs at around 5 months old.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  3. kjxoxo1

kjxoxo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    I have learned that I don't need a rooster to lay eggs...only if I want baby chicks. :) I guess my thoughts when I saw my rooster try to do his thing was that my hens are hopefully coming close to laying time.....I was hoping some of the BYC old timers (because I value their knowledge) would let me know if this was a sign or just a sign that my rooster is growing up.

My guineas are just wilder than normal....more flighty, more unsettled than normal.....maybe it is the spring air.

thanks anyway for your posted reply.

4. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    I am not an "old timer" but I think it is more of a sign of your rooster's sexual maturity than your chickens.
    When my hens were close to lay they began to squat when I put my hand above them.
    My Australorp was closer to 28 weeks when she started to lay.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That mounting behavior from the rooster could be a sign of dominance more than sexual maturity. I've seen a dominant hen mount another hen and touch vents when there was not a mature rooster in the flock. Sometimes roosters will mount another rooster to show dominance. When I separate a rooster from the flock for a few minutes then put him back with his flock, the first thing he normally does is mount a hen to demonstrate his dominance. When they are first let out in the morning, the rooster usually wants to immediately mount a hen to show he is still the dominant chicken in the flock.

I don't put much faith in the pullet's behavior either. I've seen a pullet willingly squat for a rooster five weeks before she started to lay. I see pullets and hens try to avoid the rooster's advances even if they are laying. A pullet willingly squatting for a rooster may be an indication they might be getting ready to lay, but it could also just be a sign of submission to his dominance.

I don't know about Guineas, but I've had hatchery Black Australorps start laying around 20 weeks. Usually they are a little bit older when they start. I know you are anxious for the eggs, but I think they are better off if they don't start laying real early. It gives their body a chance to mature more.

Good luck! At 18 weeks, it should not be long. It will just seem that way.

1 person likes this.
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Your rooster is maturing. The guineas are lovestruck. The Australorps should lay soon, but all bets are off on the cornish X. Bred for meat production and early killing their life span and egg production are always questionable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by