Question(s) About Genetics

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by BrindleFinch, Apr 3, 2018.

1. BrindleFinch

BrindleFinch Songster

Mar 31, 2018
    Upstate, NY
    I'm aware that silkie feathers are recessive (? please correct me if I'm wrong on that one!) but I was wondering if there's any limit to the patterning that silkie feathers can hold?

My actual question is about silver laced and what it's comprised of. Is it possible for a silkie to HAVE silver laced, or because of their feather type, does it just end up looking like a mottled mess?

Also, how do size genes work in chickens? If you were to cross a bantam with a standard, do you get a mix of standard and bantam, mediums, or all three?

Just a disclaimer: I am not going to be breeding weird mottled medium mutant silkies anytime soon :p I don't even have chickens yet; but my favorites out of those coming are my bantam silkie roo and the silver laced wyandotte.

I just really like genetics and am curious - just late night musings of what would happen if I let my silver laced wyandotte hatch some fertile eggs if the roo was a silkie bantam.

I'm going to assume that silver laced has multiple components to it, and since silkie is recessive the first generation would probably look really wonky with all the mixed genes goin' on. A breeder's nightmare, really. I promise any genetic info will be used responsibly :plbb

2. redranger209

redranger209 Crowing

Apr 17, 2016
    Oakdale, CA
    I’m not sure about the silver laced gene, but the silk weathers are recessive, and the chicks would be medium size (I’m about 90 percent sure.)

3. BrindleFinch

BrindleFinch Songster

Mar 31, 2018
    Upstate, NY
    Thank you @redranger209 !

Ordinarily I would go looking for genetics stuff myself, but I don't know where to find reliable information. The Silver Lace gene is really what I'm most interested in out of all my questions; it's gorgeous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: