QUESTION: Should I move my eggs to a Hova Bator for hatching OR leave them alone...Votes wanted (wit

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CALI CHICK, Jan 31, 2012.

1. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    I've got 15 silkie eggs in an old Brower 845 incubator. It is working as I've seen development in most eggs that were candled so far. The problem is that it has a 2.5 inch diameter window, which is really to see the thermometer only.

Someone loaned me a still air Hova Bator with 2 windows in the top. I'm wanting to heat it up (regulate temperature) and transfer the eggs on Day 18 so we can actually watch the chicks hatch. (Please, please hatch little babies [​IMG]) The only thing that worries me is moving the eggs and wondering if that would damage them or something.

So, please tell me what YOU would do (or what you've done). Move them??? or Keep them in the old one???

2. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    a lot of people use two incubators. One for incubating and the other for hatching. I don't see the problem. I would transfer on lock down day.

3. jrosemoore

jrosemoore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Nebraska
    Keep them in the old one. Like the saying goes, "If it ain't broke---don't fix it."

You already started the eggs in the old one. How do you know the new one will stay steady at the right temperature during lockdown? And if you encounter problems with it then you are at a loss!

Start a new batch in the new bator :)

4. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    You could put a few in the other incubator so you can enjoy watching some hatch. Personally, I transfer my eggs from the incubator into a hatcher so that my primary incubators don't get hatch mess in them.

5. CALI CHICK

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    Yes, I see your point. However, this old bator has had me on pens and needles from Day 1. It isn't really that reliable and I've had more than enough tempurature plummets and spikes. I guess I should have mentioned that variable into the equation.
    And I so want to see the babies hatch.
    I may still keep them in the old one, buuuuut, if I can stabilize the other one several days in advance, I'm leaning toward moving them.
    Keep the opinions OR experiences coming. [​IMG]

6. CALI CHICK

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA

Hmmmm, I never would have thought of keeping both running. But, that would eliminate the chance of losing them all because of one incubator messing up. I appreciate the suggestion and will have to think on that. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by