Question - Silkies

CTChick

Songster
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Shelton
have a dumb question. Silkies are bantams, right? Why do I have a book which lists both a standard (regular) Silkie AND a bantam size? Are there two sizes?
Laura

Yup, silkies are bantams.

You can get cochins in standard or bantam sizes.

There is a large diversity in size from breeder to breeder in silkies, at least what I have seen.

Last edited:
hi acually silkies can be standard too but they are mostly in the uk but hard to find in the us.

to see pics go to www.feathersite.com and type in silkies!!!!!
smile.png

In Aisa where they originated, they do come in big and small. We've bred an intermediate size here, and we call 'em bantams.

Why do I have a book which lists both a standard (regular) Silkie AND a bantam size? Are there two sizes?

British book?

I'm not certain I've actually seen any real life silkies in US.

What is known as Large Fowl silkie in UK is pretty small & comes in non bearded & bearded. weights: male 1.81kg (4lb), female 1.36kg (3lb).
The bantam silkies weights are: male 600g (22oz), female 500g (18oz).​

Many countries have bantam and large fowl silkies. In the US we have bantams, which are larger than the bantam silkies in other countries and smaller than their large fowl silkies.

In the US there are no large fowl silkies, although threads like this usually have someone throw in a comment that they know someone who knows someone who knows someone who is working on them.
lol.png
Never seen a post here or on any other site where someone waved their hand wildly and said "I have them!" or "I'm working on them!"

There was someone on here not too long ago who claimed to have some. Can't remember who it was though.

-Cindy

Do female pullets have wattles? I have three white silkies and each one is a different size although they hatched out at the same time. One is an obvious Roo, one an obvious pullet. And the other has a slight wattle and comb and is mid size of the others.
Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom