Question soft shelled egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nlchicken, May 15, 2019.

1. Nlchicken

Nlchicken Chirping

Sep 4, 2018
    Newfoundland
    Every day we are getting a large soft shelled egg. The shell feels ok but it is very fragile. It breaks really easily buy just picking it up. Or another why bumping it. The only other thing I have noticed is the color of the egg is paler than normal. They are usually darker. Our girls vary in age from 1 year to approx 4 years old. I am assuming it is one of the older girls but not sure.
    They are feed 16% layer and have oyster shells available free choice.

20190515_193514.jpg

2. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Songster

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    I have read numerous threads that suggest a calcium deficiency.

3. Nlchicken

Nlchicken Chirping

Sep 4, 2018
    Newfoundland
    Any suggestions for helping with that?
    They have oyster shells available 24/7 is their anything else I can give them for a calcium boost?

It's only the lighter shade eggs. The darker ones have hard shells

4. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Songster

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Yes. Would have to research it, I know there are threads on here regarding soft shells too.

5. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    Virginia
    You can give crushed up tums, crushed up calcium pills, or crushed egg shells (bake them at 200 degrees for an hour then crush up into small pieces). It's hard to know what else may help without knowing what chicken it is and how old it is. It could be an older layer who's system is just not up to par anymore or a layer that has restarted laying (slower or stopped egg production from change of season or from stress).

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 4:47 AM
    Nlchicken and Mybackyardpeepers like this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes, we need to know how old your birds are.. and how long they have been laying.

Are they eating the OS?
    Is it in a separate container that's easily accessible?
    Might try sprinkling some around on the ground.
    Oyster shell is about the best calcium supplement, if they eat it, as it lasts a longer time in the gizzard whereas chicken egg shells move right thru.

Are you feeding any other foods or 'treats'?

Soft shell eggs rarely have color because the shelling and coating process are not completed.
    If only one bird in the flock is laying funky eggs, it's likely a problem with the bird rather than the diet.

Nlchicken and chkva like this.
  7. Nlchicken

Nlchicken Chirping

Sep 4, 2018
    Newfoundland
    We get one egg a day like it so I think it's only one hen. Not sure how to find out which one without separating them as they share nesting boxes.
    I spread the oyster shells on the floor by the feeders and also have some in a bowl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: