Question to anybody who's had wood furniture refinished.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChikeeMomma, Oct 6, 2011.

1. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I am looking to have an old wooden rocking chair stripped and refinished. It is very sturdy, just could use some love. About how much does refinishing run? I was looking to take on the project earlier, but I am 5 months pregnant and don't think it would be a good idea right now (fumes, etc). Thanks!!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    what color do you want it in? I know QVC or HSN sell a kind of paint that doesnt required stripping.

3. ChikeeMomma

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Just a medium oak color.

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    The only thing they have is solid paint like sage or white and mocha i think.

5. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I have an uncle that does that and he would charge $125 which includes pulling it apart and resetting all the joints and re-gluing everything to make it good to go for another 100 years. Taking it apart ensures all the nooks and crannies come to a clean finish without any gunk in the joints or dark spots. He's a perfectionist.

He's a genius with antiques though, you could throw that chair out of the back of a speeding truck and he'd give it back to just like new. Once we gave him a pile of wood we thought was an amoire, wasn't sure if it had all the pieces or not, it was literally board by board, taken apart but never redone. Turns out it was an amoire, about 8ft tall, tiger oak, gorgeous! We were able to sell it for $1800 when he was done with it. Not bad for a pile of planks of pretty wood.

6. ChikeeMomma

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Quote:Good to know! I figured it may run about that. I was looking for someone to do it right like you are speaking of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by