Question to orp breeders (any color).

halo

Got The Blues
14 Years
Nov 22, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
When you decide to keep a rooster, what traits do you look for? I would assume that not just any old roo would do; that if you are breeding for good type, that you need a roo that fits a type too. How do you choose who the lucky guy is?

I've been told if you want to breed chickens then you must have the APA Standard of Perfection so you know exactly what traits the chicken needs to have. I'm waiting for mine to come in the mail
big_smile.png

There is so much to learn. I've had chickens for nearly 20 years off and on, and have learned more in the last year than I did in the other 19
lol.png

Last edited:
I know what you mean. I havent had chickens for 20 years, but I had them years ago, and in getting back into them, theres so much to learn; its really fun! I bet the Standard of Perfection is some interesting reading.

I think the breeder is important who has proven stock and does show their birds. That is something to look at and select the best male.

I would pick the best male with excellent color, wide stance and correct eye color and legs along with proper body carriage. No one wants a "dumpy" or Japanese style bird and those should be culled. And he must have masculine traits, none of the refinement like an Arab nor a stout like a Clydesdale but good in between. The pullets should display feminity and good egg laying capabilities are a good boost for your breeding program. And no lanky ness about them either! They should be heavy and well muscled bird as well.

Reading the standards helps too!

Back
Top Bottom