1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question to those of you with Wichita style coops

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TROPIC HENS, Sep 18, 2012.

1. TROPIC HENS

TROPIC HENS Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    South Dade (Miami), FL
    I'm in the process of building my coop and it's a lot like the Wichita coop. I was wondering about the chicken pop door and rain. My wife has been suggesting for me to build the pop door on the coops floor so that the hens enter from the bottom. I know I will lose good inside floor space by doing that, but I'm guessing that it'll keep the inside of the coop dry. My question is, how wet does the inside of your coop get when it rains...if it does get wet? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Here's a link with pictures of my build. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/pollo-tropical
    Thanks.
    Kevin

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  2. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

With the roof you have over your coop, no rain will get in through the pop door unless you are having a hurricane. The pop door will be just fine on the wall between the coop and run. If you are really worried about it, just put it towards the back side of that wall.
    The build looks good so far!

1 person likes this.
  3. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I agree with the above. Your coop won't get wet. You'd REALLY regret having a hole in the floor. It'd have to be much, much bigger than you think.

4. TROPIC HENS

Sep 6, 2012
    South Dade (Miami), FL
    Thank you for the responses. That's pretty much what I figured, but wanted to hear it from someone with experience. Think I'll just build it on the wall and surprise my wife. She's hell bent with it on the floor.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  5. CovertChickOps

CovertChickOps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2012
    Undisclosed, Virginia
    The problem is not so much the inside of the hen house, which should stay dry, but the floor of your run, which will definitely get wet during heavy rains. My wife wanted to try the deep litter method for the our coop run and I noticed that even with light rain, run-off would hit the block at the base and splash in the coop. If there was any wind, all of the base litter would get wet save for a small area under the hen house. Since it was raining almost daily here for a while, the wet litter was getting messy and smelly, so I fitted some coop curtains using semi-clear 6x10' tarps. You can get on them on ebay for about $15. I rigged it so I can use a half skirt for normal rains and a full curtain for big rainstorms and snow. Working good so far, it rained last night and today the litter is dry as a bone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  6. Wissa38

Wissa38 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    We built this style coop and have had no issues with rain getting into the coop. We leave the coop door open in all kinds of weather all year round (Vermont). Actually, we had a nasty storm here the other day and I went out to check on the girls and they were warm and dry and watching the storm from the comfort of their perch. When we were building the coop my wife picked up a window with thermal panes from a building supply recycle shop and built it into the east face. The girls love to sit on their perch and watch the bad weather.

So no, I really wouldn't put the door on the floor. I just don't see the benefit, especially when you'll loose so much floor space. And though I love this style of coop, floor space is at a premium.

7. TROPIC HENS

Sep 6, 2012
    South Dade (Miami), FL
    That's pretty neat. It's almost like a curtain. I'm using gravel and then a layer of sand in my coop, plus its a little elevated. I'm not too concerned with the run. My main concern was the inside of the hen house. I didn't want to get everything in there soaked and stinking. What I'll do is place the door towards the back of the coop. Like that it's very protected by the house and the slant of the roof.

8. TROPIC HENS

Sep 6, 2012
    South Dade (Miami), FL
    I totally agree...floor space is extremely important. I'm very appreciative of all the responses. It's confirmed what I believed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by