Question: What will happen if I breed these two... Aussie and RSL

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by angellynne, Apr 20, 2012.

1. angellynne

angellynne Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    Delaware
    So since I ended up with an Australorp rooster and 3 hens, and 6 RSL hens, I'm wondering what kind of chicks I'll get from the link crossing with the Aussie. I believe (but am not certain since I didn't get the hatchery's information) that my RSLs are Cinnamon Queens, which are a DelawarexProduction Red cross.
    Has anyone ever (purposely or inadvertently) crossed these two? Are they any good for laying? Are they any good for meat? Are they sweet or aggressive?
    It seems to me like it could go either way. But, I'm keeping the rooster, either way. I might ask my m-i-l if I can trade her some RSL for a few of her Aussies if they don't breed well, though. They're barely 7 weeks old right now.

I guess I'm what you would call, a wanna-be country girl. I grew up in cities and towns, the most experience I have is from pre-veterinary school, and they don't exactly emphasize chickens. I haven't ever bred anything purposely, although I know a bit about genetics. I'm really just looking for chickens that are docile while being good for backyard farming, you know?

2. angellynne

angellynne Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    Delaware
    Also, don't quote me on what breeds the RSL came from. That's just what I was told. My fiance's grandfather thinks they were crossed with RIR, but I'm not too sure. He's an old chicken farmer, and knows how to commercially farm them, but he keeps asking me about stuff like how I can tell the one is most likely a roo, why my chicks are growing faster and act nicer. Haha.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by