Question..... Why don't my eggs zip??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ritzzy, May 12, 2010.

1. ritzzy

ritzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Crystal Lake IL
    All over this forum I see pictures of eggs that do a nice, full zip around the eggs...well, all of mine haven't even zipped. They just pip and make that one hole bigger and bigger and then push it's way out. Does that mean I am doing something wrong, or is the chick just confused? [​IMG]

2. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    what breed? Sometimes the bigger birds push out with brute force while the smaller ones are a bit more refined.

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I wonder sometimes if it has to do with the elasticity of the membrane. Some of mine do a great job zipping and other times they do the 'big push' thing like you described...almost as though they cant get moved around to keep the zip- zipping [​IMG]

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Mine do that when my humidity is too low.

5. ritzzy

ritzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Crystal Lake IL
    I have noo idea what breed. I got these at a local farm so they are all mixed I assume.
    It's funny because my two tiny brown eggers both did this push method, and so did my large white egger. So, I don't know why they do this, but it seems to work for them haha

My humidity has always been 50% all through incubation. There was a point a few times where it went down to 35% but I got it quickly back up.

Last edited: May 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by