1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question with hens on roosts or other.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SuburbanSue, Jul 5, 2011.

1. SuburbanSue

SuburbanSue Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    Emerson, New Jersey
    have 7 ladies. two roosts in the coop -- lower is about 18 inches off ground, second is like 36 inches off ground. Lately I see 3 or 4 flying up to sit on the 2x4 that is up around the roof line (inside the coop). They are about 14 weeks old. I keep the nesting boxes off limits and they cannot sit atop the boxes. Should I block off the access to the higher spot where they are sleeping at night and get them back down on the roost? Is it their behavior like beginning to feel the way to lay??? This is my first time with chickens. Live in a suburban setting, they have a full enclosed run in the daytime. Any help would be appreciated.

2. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    If the opportunity exists, chickens will roost as high as they can get. My chicks are about the same age. They've been in their coop since 7wks. old. Within the first week I noticed I had a few that were looking for higher spots to roost and had a couple that did the same as yours. We had 2 roosts originally approx. 2ft & 4ft. After I noticed what they were doing I had my DH add another roost at a higher level. So we 3 roosts at approx. 2,4,6 ft. They use the highest to roost at night and use the others through out the day and use them to get to the highest one. Sorta like a ladder approach.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by