1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question with pictures :) Please HELP !!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newBonboard, May 15, 2011.

1. newBonboard

newBonboard Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    Before I post pictures.. what do I use so pictures comes right up in thread.. direct link , html code or img code ?? [​IMG]

I posted this earlier and have since taken the photos !!

Hi everyone [​IMG]

So as mentioned in the thread posted yesterday I adopted (4) 3 week old barred rocks yesterday. Here is my question..when I went to pick up the chickens the owner wasn't sure of the sex so I did a google search and did the best I could to try and pick 4 females..It said with this breed that most times females will have small white patches on their heads in comparison with the males and that the females legs tend to be darker..is so happened that the one's I picked with little white on the head also did have dark legs. One thing I am noticing today is that 2 have more prominent jagged comb on the head than the other two. Do the females also have this in the barred ?? I wish I could tell which were female and which were not for sure.

Thank You for any insight !! smile

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Yes, female barred plymouth rock chicks do often have prominent combs at a young age. What you should notice, though, is that if one or more suddenly seem to be feathering out more grey looking than the others, that is a sure indicator of a boy. But if you picked based on the small white spot and dark "wash" on the legs, you should be good! Congrats!

BTW I always use the "img" tag when I have uploaded pics. Thumbnail comes out too small. Good luck!!

[​IMG]

3. newBonboard

May 13, 2011
    Thank You - Here are the pics, what do you all think ??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is a pic of all of them below in a box I placed them in while cleaning there more permanent home tonight.. as you can see they are mostly all the same " darkness " and again they are 3 weeks old

[​IMG]

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Based on what little I can see in the pictures, I would guess that Batman is a girl and Peep and Robin are boys. I am basing my guess on the lighter coloring of the second two.

5. newBonboard

May 13, 2011
    I posted a couple more pics while you were responding I think.. that would be funny as peep and Robin are the two with no comb at all .. Oh goodness I was wishing I had all lady chickens !

As you can see in the last pic they are almost all the same color - I think the lighting in the two of peep and Robin made them look more light grey than they really are.

6. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I see what you mean. The coloring is totally darker in the last pic. The three BRs look like girls to me in that pic.
    Marlie isn't a BR, is she? I can't see barring and it looks like she has feathered feet...but maybe it's the picture again [​IMG]

7. newBonboard

May 13, 2011
    She is supposed to be .. but I think they were in with other chickens who hatched at the same time. You are very correct, she has something down by her feet that the others dont and she is not showing any ribbing ( I was thinking the ribbing could be because she was a runt possibly ) what type does she ( hopefully she ) look like ? haha Isn't this fun !!

8. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:I dont think Marlie is a BPR. She has feathered feet.

9. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    ginger c. :

Quote:I dont think Marlie is a BPR. She has feathered feet.

Right. That's what I was saying - not a BR. I'm not familiar with all the feather footed breeds, but might she be a cochin?​

10. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    from what I see the only one iffy is Batman but I think its batgirl. At 3 weeks my BR roos had red in their combs and they were much bigger. They are very dark and thats a good sign. But since one isnt a barred rock(feathered legs) all may not. I bought last year what a lady told me was 6 barred rocks. Only 2 were barred rocks the rest were black sex links and boys. So out of the 6 that I thought was barred rocks and all were dark with black down the leg but one, 5 ended up boys. But anyway at 3 weeks boys combs will be getting pink or red and the girls will be yellow or beige.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by