1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

QUESTION ' Wood" and " Mandarin"

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by bubbastump22, Mar 16, 2013.

1. bubbastump22

bubbastump22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    madison,fl
    is it legal to have them in the state of florida..and if soo what do i need to have to have these birds..they are very pretty and i would love to have me a few prs of each...can someone plz explain what i need to have so i can get these beautys..

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    They are pretty. We had some in captivity for a while up here in Michigan. They are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and you need a permit to keep them in captivity up here in Michigan, but each state is a little different. To sell or breed them I think you need a federal permit from the federal department of fish and wild life. Maybe this website will have some info: http://myfwc.com/

3. 3BirdGirlz

3BirdGirlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Montana
    You don't need a permit to have mandarins. They are not a native species.:)

4. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    1 person likes this.
  5. bubbastump22

Sep 16, 2012
    madison,fl
    i mean i got game hens and i dont need a permit for those..i had a guy from game and wildlife come out and as long as i kept them in the pen i was fine..i wonder now bout the ducks..if i do the same thing if i need to have a permit for them..

6. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    The Wood Ducks are considered migratory birds, unlike game hens, so it sounds like different rules apply. By the way, when we kept wood ducks they loved having lots of fresh running water in their pens.

7. bubbastump22

Sep 16, 2012
    madison,fl
    well i will be building a 40x40 pond in the next month or soo that will have constant running water. so my geese and ducks will love that over there kiddie pool for now..

8. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    I live in NE florida. Heres the skinny bubba.I keep both species. With the Manderins you dont need any permit to buy or sale. When you BUY the woodducks the seller should give you a 3-186 form to go with them. Its just a piece of paper to prove you didnt take any wild ones. They are pretty and fun. To buy them try the GBWF forum is your best bet PS best kept in covered pen with full flight to enjoy their antics

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I knew someone would come along who knows what they are talking about.

1 person likes this.
  10. bubbastump22

Sep 16, 2012
    madison,fl
    oh sweet...well do u knw anyone i can buy some from.. i dont want to pay 90+ if i can help it..lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by