Question!! Young "broody" Silkie trying to hijack EVERY nesting box!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Muggsmagee, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Silkie is doing her best to take over EVERY egg layed by my hens. We have 6 boxes, and she goes back and forth laying on every egg, pitching a fit when we collect the eggs. It took me two days to realize she is not trying to find the perfect spot to lay an egg! She has even taken to sitting on her sister while she lays! [​IMG] She is 6 months old...I'm not sure I can trust putting some eggs under her yet. If I give her eggs to sit on...should I keep her in the nesting boxes with the rest of the girls? Or separate her to a new, private, location so she can be undisturbed? [​IMG] Also, should I just take an egg out of the incubator to give to her? I have some due to hatch this weekend.

All input is welcome!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would separate her from the others since, she can't make up her mind where to stay. Then I think I would give her an egg from the incubator, since they are due to hatch soon, you won't waste much time finding out if she is a serious broody sitter or not. If she does hatch the egg, she won't have to be brooding for 3 weeks.

3. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Thanks. This is what I am thinking, too. Should I still need to keep her separate from the flock if/when she hatches her babies? I have hatched LOTS of chicks on my own, but haven't experienced a broody hen. It is all new to me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by