Question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mommy27kids, May 20, 2016.

1. mommy27kids

mommy27kids New Egg

May 20, 2016
    Tn
    I'm fairly new to this. I got 6 chickens on March 18th, 5 Rhode Island Reds and one white Silkie bantam. There now about 10 weeks old, out in the coop and doing well. I was given a 5 month old brown Silkie hen. I really want to keep her! She's pretty small, smaller then my white Silkie. Does anyone know what the chances are that I can introduce her to my current flock? I'm going to Corentine her of course and I try the no touch method but given that she's smaller and a different color, do you think I've got any hope?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You should be fine :) She's got age on her side, so she may well end up dominant over the younger birds, as that tends to be what happens. And chickens don't care too much about the color of their flock mates.

I had a tiny bantam cochin rooster that was dominant over a buff orpington rooster, because the buff orp was younger than him and the cochin put him in his place when he was young. So I would say give it a shot and see what happens.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  3. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    [​IMG]
    The "see but don't touch" method works incredibly well. It may take a few day or a couple weeks until they feel comfortable with each other, but it should go fairly well.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock - so glad you joined us [​IMG]

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by