1. preshanataylor

preshanataylor New Egg

Jun 20, 2016
    My baby chick stays in the house with me in my room and it was trying jump in my bed like it usually does but i had my fan on and it flew in i got her out in time but she had a deep cut under her wing and a hole in her side. I've been putting peroxide and Neosporin on it the peroxide looks like it made her bald in that area. She hardly gets up except when she eats, which is good, but she doesn't drink her water, I was wondering what should I do.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

keep the wound clean, can you get a picture up? and make sure to be checking for infection!

3. preshanataylor

preshanataylor New Egg

Jun 20, 2016
    Okay thanks and I'll have a picture by tomorrow

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Pictures will be helpful, one of the whole chick, the deep cut and the hole in her side as well.

Do you think the fan possibly crushed her?

Don't use any more peroxide, especially if you think it's making her bald or taking off her fluff. Stick with the plain neosporin to treat her wounds.

If she is not drinking, you can try to use an eye dropper or syringe to drop water beside her beak, most of the time they will start taking in a few drops at a time. If you have some poultry vitamins you can add that to the water.
    She needs to be hydrated, so you can try mixing some of her chick starter with water to make a wet mash, that will get a little water into her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by