question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kylestow, Jan 28, 2017.

1. kylestow

kylestow Just Hatched

Jan 8, 2017
    Would it be ok to let my 4 day old chicks run around in the yard if I am out there with them

1 person likes this.
  2. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    What's the temperature where you are?

3. kylestow

kylestow Just Hatched

Jan 8, 2017
    It is about 60 and sunny at the moment

4. CoopintheWoods

CoopintheWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    If you just plan to set them loose in the yard and watch them, don't. Place them in a wire-bottomed crate or something. Even a plastic bin with the bottom cut out (no sharp edges) will do.

5. kylestow

kylestow Just Hatched

Jan 8, 2017
    Ok I didn't know if it would be ok as long as I was sitting outside with them

6. kylestow

kylestow Just Hatched

Jan 8, 2017
    I have a fenced in yard so I thought it would be fun to let the kids watch them run around

7. Adalida

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Could the chicks get through the fence or is it a solid fence?

8. Adalida

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    I sat outside with mine when they were babies. I'd sit on the ground and they would stay right by me for the first couple outings- the world is big and scary if they've only been in a brooder! Just keep an eye on them and if they aren't running around much and just huddle together, they're cold.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You cannot imagine how fast a raptor could swoop down and snatch a chick right in front of you. They are always looking for opportunities. Don't know where you live but, even in areas like suburban Chicago, people have had hawks swoop in and snatch their toy breed pups.

I like to err on the side of caution. You could have the chicks out in a small -linked - wire cage or pen with top. Stay with them, if they just to fuss or shiver, time to go back inside.

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Agreed. It is a calculated risk, for sure. I have hawks sit in the trees around my coop and taunt me. They are becoming increasingly bold and numerous. The first 2 years, I could free range my birds without problem. The last 2 years, for the most part, within 10 minutes of letting the birds out of their covered run, the hawks would be circling. Last fall, I had a trio of hawks circling, followed immediately by a flock of turkey vultures.

I have a 3 x 6 tractor that works perfectly for day time outings for chicks. It also fills in as a brooder, a broody pen for Mama and babies, and a means of letting a few birds work a bit of garden during the season... or any other area I want to let them clean up. I train baby chicks to a cat carrier. It works splendidly to line it with hay, and transport babies to/from the tractor. They come to associate the cat carrier with security, and go running into it with the least bit of "encouragement" from me. Cat carrier stays in the tractor, so that if chicks want nest security, it's right there for them.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by