Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MaceyDawn, Jul 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MaceyDawn

MaceyDawn Hatching

Jul 1, 2017
    I used to have 4 mallard ducks and three of them died now I just have one male and his name is Aiden. He used to love playing in water and eating all the time but recently he has stopped playing in water and I feel like he hardly ever eats. Should I be worried or is this a normal stage for growing ducks?

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Crowing

Aug 11, 2016
    KY
    Ducks usually love water (and, frankly, eating) - what you're describing doesn't sound normal to me. How old is he? How did the other three ducks die? Do you have any other ducks or is Aiden alone now? What do you feed him?

MaceyDawn likes this.
  3. jofanx

jofanx Songster

Oct 30, 2015
    They can get depressed to the point where they can die if they lose their friends. You'll want to get him some friends.

Doobly and MaceyDawn like this.
  4. MaceyDawn

MaceyDawn Hatching

Jul 1, 2017

5. MaceyDawn

MaceyDawn Hatching

Jul 1, 2017
    Aiden is about 4-5 months old. We had Kim and Aiden for about two months and we got two more babies and they both passed away and I'm not sure what happened but I think they got sick. Kim passed away because one night there was a really bad storm and we brought the two inside and the dog somehow got a hold of Kim but not Aiden. Aiden is alone now, we tried to put him with our chickens but he was really aggressive towards them and they were all scared of him. And for the most part he eats chicken feed.

6. Doobly

Doobly Songster

Nov 20, 2012
    Hampshire, England
    Yes he sounds like he's probably quite depressed. How old is he? Do you know how the others died?

MaceyDawn likes this.
  7. Doobly

Doobly Songster

Nov 20, 2012
    Hampshire, England
    Okay, so I'm guessing he saw the dog attacking Kim? That's going to be pretty traumatising especially if she was his companion. For all ducks fierceness and stubbornness, they are deeply emotional creatures. He really does sound like he needs companionship from his own kind.
    As for attacking the chickens, it could be sexual frustration?

MaceyDawn likes this.
  8. jofanx

jofanx Songster

Oct 30, 2015
    He'll definitely need some ducky buddies... hope you can find some for him soon.

MaceyDawn likes this.
  9. MaceyDawn

MaceyDawn Hatching

Jul 1, 2017

10. MaceyDawn

MaceyDawn Hatching

Jul 1, 2017
    Maybe. I''m gonna look into getting some more ducks so he'll have a buddy.

Doobly likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: