Question

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by someusername, Jan 13, 2019.

1. someusername

someusername Songster

Aug 6, 2018
    In a house
    Where the heck do you get a pigeon? All the ones on Stromberg's are WAY too expensive, is there any where you can get pigeon eggs at least?

2. biophiliac

biophiliac Traveler in BYCLand

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    I got my starter birds off Craigs List, $50 for 6 nice racing homers, then 2 more given to me by the same seller. Fancy breeds are likely to cost more. Find some pigeon keepers in you area - they will be very helpful. The shipping costs for birds bought from Strombergs or similar sellers is a barrier for many. Good luck!:frow

I don't recommend eggs - young pigeons need to be raised by their parents, unlike chickens.

3. biophiliac

biophiliac Traveler in BYCLand

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    Alternatively you could try to capture some feral pigeons, preferably nestlings about 10 days old or older, and finish raising them by hand.:)

4. slorider18

slorider18 Chirping

Jan 3, 2019
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    I got mine from craigslist as well. Local flyer that was thinning out some of his older birds. I got 4 birds for free and some good advice. Have you checked if there is a club close to you? You can go to pigeon.org and then check by state for clubs.

5. Kusanar

Kusanar Crowing

Apr 30, 2014
    Roanoke area, Va.
    Mine is a feral that can't fly, I know a guy that raises them for hawk bait (he's a falconer) so I can probably get another off of him.

6. slorider18

slorider18 Chirping

Jan 3, 2019
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    that almost makes me sad but everyone got to eat. I'd love to get a hawk someday down the road. Gonna be a long while though before I can dedicate that kind of time.

7. CCUK

CCUK Free Flying

Jan 21, 2018
    North Notts, UK
    My Coop
    You might wanna be quick!
    I love hawks. They're such graceful birds. It's a very demanding job if you have one though. A friend at work has a Goshawk and it escaped. It took him three days to catch it. Needless to say I kept my pigeons in!

8. Kusanar

Kusanar Crowing

Apr 30, 2014
    Roanoke area, Va.
    Lol, he doesn't actually feed them to them, he uses the pigeons to catch wild adult raptors. Apparently there is a vest you can put on them that has a lot of loops on it, the hawk attacks the pigeon and gets stuck in the loops and can't leave.[/QUOTE]

biophiliac and CCUK like this.
  9. CCUK

CCUK Free Flying

Jan 21, 2018
    North Notts, UK
    My Coop
    [/QUOTE]
    Sounds like pretty scary stuff for the poor old pigeon!

10. Kusanar

Kusanar Crowing

Apr 30, 2014
    Roanoke area, Va.
    Sounds like pretty scary stuff for the poor old pigeon![/QUOTE]
    well, the pigeon doesn't survive, so I doubt it is scared for long... but I agree, but, the again, how else are you going to catch a mature raptor?

backyard pigeons, CCUK and biophiliac like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: