question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by holahead, Apr 26, 2009.

1. holahead

holahead Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    Alabama
    hello everybody how is everybody doing this evening. I was wondering if there is something I could put on my outside chicks to keep gnats and mites off of them? There are driving them crazy and I don't know what I could do to help them. Any info would be very helpful. Thanks and have a great day.

2. valentinebaby

valentinebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sherman-Denison, TX
    Have you tried food grade DE? I got a 50 lb. bag at my local feed store for cheap and it works on most bugs and helps dry the poop in the run and coop.

3. holahead

Jan 18, 2009
    Alabama
    I am sorry but could you tell me what DE is? Thanks

4. valentinebaby

valentinebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sherman-Denison, TX
    Diatomaceous Earth (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth). You can search for its benefits on BYC for deep litter methods in the coop, but also for controlling fleas and I think mites - don't know about gnats since they fly... Some use it on their dogs for flea control, but you don't want them inhaling any of it - wrecks havoc with the lungs. It needs to be used carefully in your garden, cuz it can kill beneficial insects as well as bad ones. I think I paid around $20 bucks for my 50 lb. bag (much cheaper than buying a smaller bag) and it will last me a LONG time. Be sure you get FOOD GRADE - there is some sold for swimming pools, so be careful -- you don't want to use the non-food grade kind. Years ago, I had gnat type bugs in my kitchen plants and I sprayed a yellow plastic cup with STP (yep the car stuff) and it attracts the flying critters and they stick to it. Again - wouldn't let your chicks around the cup, however!

5. holahead

Jan 18, 2009
    Alabama
    Thanks alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by