1. devans87

devans87 In the Brooder

Jun 15, 2008
    Dallas
    I'm thinking of building a similar coop as the one in this link, I just have a few questions first, Where would you mount a roost? and how many standard hens would fit comfortably in a coop this size? Only thing different I'm going to do is close in the lower part and put a ramp for the hens to get down to the ground. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/1805635659.html

2. devans87

devans87 In the Brooder

Jun 15, 2008
    Dallas
    Any answers??

3. Hugerat

Hugerat In the Brooder

May 14, 2010
    Well at 4 sq feet per hen you could technically put 8 in that coop from what I read here.

4. devans87

devans87 In the Brooder

Jun 15, 2008
    Dallas
    Thanks, any ideas on where to mount a roost? Wouldn't want it over the nesting boxes correct? Maybe more out towards the center?

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It's a kind of odd coop -- I get the impression that the wire-floored back 'shelf' was what the chickens 'roosted' on? Not the usual arrangement.

If they will be ONLY in there, rather than free-ranging most of the day every day, I would not personally put more than 3-4 in there unless you built a much larger run (since closing in the 'downstairs' would only give you 4x8 of run space). If you did build a larger run, perhaps 6x10 plus the closed-in underneath, you could get 8 or more chickens in there but I would suggest erring on the side of fewer rather than more. Or if they will free-range all day every day you could just go according to however much roost length you can get in there.

How to install normal roosts would depend somewhat on how many chickens you intend to put in there.

You'll probably want to close off most of one or two sides for wintertime, although you *might* be ok with one side remaining open in winter depending on what your winter lows and winter storms are like.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:The minimum of 4 sq. ft. per chicken is a minimum rule of thumb for the coop housing, and assumes that you're giving them around 10 sq. ft of run space as well. So as pat already mentioned, if you're building a nice big run, or they will be free ranging during the day, then in theory this hutch/coop could house up to 8 birds. But if they will be spending the bulk of their time inside this pen, then I certainly would not keep more than 4 chickens in there, and less would be better.

Depending on how tall and deep that back section is, you might be able to run a roost along there...

7. Heathercp

Heathercp Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    Durham, NC
    After looking at this coop, I'm not all that surprised that the seller is getting out of the chicken business. If you're not desperate for something right away, I'd keep looking.

Good luck.

8. devans87

devans87 In the Brooder

Jun 15, 2008
    Dallas
    i wasnt planning on buying this one, i was going to build something like it with some minor changes. i just used the craigslist add so people would understand the concept of the size and shape i was looking at. anyone have any ideas for a coop that is 4x8 that is reasonable on the wallet?[​IMG]

9. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    put a roost behind the door opening to the back wall. or you can build a free standing one; use 2 rectangles at either end of the poll or branch then they can be able to get off the floor. The rectangles, Like a ballance beam, don't allow for them to get easily tipped over

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Go look at the small and medium-sized coops on the coop design pages, and browse peoples' personal coop pages, and you will find lots of designs. Basically you just need to build a 4x8 box with a roof that has a bit of slope and a bit of overhang, it is not real crucial exactly how you do it as long as it is well-ventilated [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by