Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 7L Farm, Nov 3, 2010.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I noticed today that my chicks seem to help each other out. This one chick had a feather or hair growing from her wattle & her roommate kept trying to remove it . I guess they keep their buddy's looking pretty. I guess hygiene means something to a chicken.

2. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    I personally think it was an opportunist move.... I would bet the chicken posing as the groomer, was just looking for a quick bite to eat... My 2 cents. [​IMG]

3. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:X2 [​IMG] Just be glad that it didn't draw blood. If he had, you would have seen innocent groomer go to eating his buddy alive!

4. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Was gonna say the same thing on both parts

5. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I don't think so this went on for awhile. They seem real happy together but then again I'm not a chicken. So, yall are saying they don't let their buddy's groom each other.

6. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:X2 [​IMG] Just be glad that it didn't draw blood. If he had, you would have seen innocent groomer go to eating his buddy alive!

To be honest the 2 chicks involved seemed to me to be best freinds.

7. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas

It wasn't a he but a she. I do not have a roo.

8. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:Yep, that is what we are saying.

Chickens are pretty simple animals..they are really curious and will check out just about anything to see if it is edible. If it went on for some time it's because the picking bird was trying its best to eat the dander/feather off of the other bird and wasn't able to get it to turn loose. They can all be perfectly happy with each other but if one draws blood or one becomes hurt in any
    way the others will pick that spot relentlessly. Usually ends up with the wounded chick dying unless you take action.

9. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Yep, that is what we are saying.

Chickens are pretty simple animals..they are really curious and will check out just about anything to see if it is edible. If it went on for some time it's because the picking bird was trying its best to eat the dander/feather off of the other bird and wasn't able to get it to turn loose. They can all be perfectly happy with each other but if one draws blood or one becomes hurt in any
    way the others will pick that spot relentlessly. Usually ends up with the wounded chick dying unless you take action.

OK . I just posted that I thought they were best friends. Who knows? What do I do ? I know they will probably work it out but if there's some think I don't no clue me in .Thanks.

10. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    A wounding is not always a death sentence. The cannibalism seems to me to be very much a function of keeping birds in close confinement, like so many other problems associated keeping poultry these days. My free range birds do not cannibolize flocks mates but same group in pen scare me with that potential. I would rather run risk of loosing bird to predator once in while to have one bird eat another.

Only cooperation I have seen to date is notifying flock mates of food, predator and huddling together for warmth.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by