question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by thekid, Jan 24, 2011.

1. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Im just wondering since quail are so tiny how big are the pens you keep them in and could i see some pictures [​IMG]

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    It depends on the bird. Coturnix need 1 square foot per bird, bobwhites need 2+ square feet per bird. Here are some of my small grow out pens that are big enough to keep a few in.

[​IMG]
    This one will house about 25 coturnix.

[​IMG]
    This one will hold about 10 or 12 coturnix.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  3. thekid

I have a huge rabbit pen so maybe when my rabbit dies I will get some quail I could keep a lot and my rabbit pen isnt a little thing you buy at the store it is a huge homemade one I will get a pic tommorw

4. thekid

Quote:What do you do in the winter? Leave them out there or take them inside?

5. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I put tarps over the windows on cold nights, and if it gets below 10* I slide a piece of wood in the pens. Most of my pens look something like that. In my layer pens I have sloped wire, egg collectors, huge feeders and waterers, ext. The only reason the heat lamp is there is because those were 4 week olds that had just came outside. It was a little cold that day...

6. thekid

What are all the different species of quail like literally all the species hahaha

7. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Coturnix, Buttons (pygmy's), Texas Blue Scaled, Bobwhite, Gambles, Valley Quail, Mountain Quail, Masked Quail, African Harlequin Quail, and more that I can't think of at the moment.[​IMG]

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:MASKED
    ELEGANT (BENSONS)
    MEARNES (MONTEZUMA)
    THEN WE START INTO DIFFERENT COLOR STRAINS OF THE BOB AND COTURNIX AND IT GETS PRETTY LENGTHY

9. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I forgot that one, the masked quail are pretty cool, do you know much about them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by