1. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    When building a coop do you take into account the height of the coop as well as the length and width for figuring out space for chickens.

For example a 10X10 coop with tons of roosting space will allow for more chickens than a 10X10 without roosts right?

Just curious.

2. Luciesbuddys

Luciesbuddys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    I moved my chickens into the new coop before i had put up the roosts they were soooooooooooo ticked at me. they sounded like they were crying for about an hour so i scrambled and put one in and threw them on it. The roost was all that they wanted so i don't think mine would be happy with out roosts.

All of mine roost together if i had 6 roosts they would all squeeze on to the same one.

3. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    no. The usable floor area is what they use to get the 4 sq ft per bird from. Roosts are sort of a given.

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    For example a 10X10 coop with tons of roosting space will allow for more chickens than a 10X10 without roosts right?

No. Chickens spend most of their waking time on the ground so floor space is what you consider. But at night chickens naturally want to roost up high so you also have to allow enough roost space, too. Figure about 1 linear foot of roost space per chicken. And chickens poop all night, so whatever is below their roost (ideally, a poop board or tray of some kind) will be filled with manure every morning.​

5. Teeah3612

Teeah3612 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    West Virginia
    Has anyone ever built a second story on a chicken coop or at least a partial one? I would think with a 6 or 8 foot tall coop you could do a small portion with two floors and increase your available floor space that way. Just an idea. Any comments?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by