Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sixshooter60, Sep 30, 2011.

1. sixshooter60

sixshooter60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Stuart Oklahoma
    Hey i have a question i hope someone can answer. Im in the process of building a bator and i have been doing lots of research on here to learn how.. one thing i would like to know about is i have read about some factory bators that have duel temp controll.. im going to use a water heater thermostat and i want to use a wafer too . my question is are they wired together with one heating source or do they need to be wired seperate with their own heating source and both on at the same time or just use one and have the other ready in case the primary fails... thanks for any advice on this

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I built mine using the WHT because it was readily available at the local chain store. Many other builders swear by the wafer though.

What is the purpose of 2 controllers? In all my readings I have not run into this set up. Maybe you have come up with a useful set up.

I have read of using 2 separate heat sources. For example if using light bulbs, have one with its own plug and no controller as it is always on; the second bulb is controlled by the WHT or wafer. THis provides added assurance of independent heat sources should one fail.

Hope you find your answers--interesting question.

3. sixshooter60

sixshooter60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Stuart Oklahoma
    Quote:I read that some factory bators have two temp controls . maybe i was mistaken i dont know but i thought some of the gqf bators said they had duel wafer tstats..i was just wondering what the reason would be unless if one failed and you had the other one preset just plug it in and your good to go.

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Maybe the particular heat controller is a dual wafer stat-meaning not that there is 2 but another definition. Let me get the dictionary out.

The spelling duEl can be eliminated --combat fought between 2 persons .

THen the spelling duAL, which is:

dual--(1) two; (2)consisting of two parts or elements, or having 2 like parts.

Maybe it means the wafer tstat has 2 parts rather than having 2 tstats in the incubator.

This is all theory. I've never seen a wafer tstat, just read that many incubators use this type and many who build incubators prefer that type of tstat. In the emergency kit for incubating, should have an extra tstat as a back up. Again, the back up is not IN the incubator but available to swap out.

Sorry I'm not of much help.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The idea is that a thermostat can fail and not shut off the heat when it gets too warm or start it back up if it gets too cool. If you have two thermostats in series, if one fails the other should work. It is an added safety feature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by