Question!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shanilynn2010, Oct 7, 2011.

1. shanilynn2010

shanilynn2010 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2010
    georgia
    Hello just ordered my chicks! They will be here october 25 .... a little late but I figured they would be laying by april or may. My question is when do they go to there coop and is it okay since it is later on in the year!?!

2. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    You shouldn't have any problem where you are in raising chicks this late in the year. By 4 weeks they should have plenty of feathering to have them outside even. Of course, I suppose it depend on where you live in GA. [​IMG] But having lived in Jax for a few years, I don't remember getting too cold of weather until Christmas or after and then for only a month. They should be fine with sufficient shelter and a heat lamp until they feather out.
    Good luck.

3. chick007

chick007 secretagent chickenman

Sep 25, 2011
    anchorage, alaska
    dear shanilynn, you will not have any problems, as minichick said after four or five weeks and fully feathered out you will have no problems. mine are just six weeks old and they are calling for snow here in the next few days. they have been enjoying a few rousts outside eating everything in sight. roost is down into low 50s and ladies love it when i turn down t-stat each week. should just turn it down to lowest setting, 45 degrees as they would love it. the cooler it gets the more they seem to grow overnight.

4. shanilynn2010

Nov 3, 2010
    georgia
    Thank you for your reply! Still no baby chicks! Sad face...they should be here tomorrow or friday! 2 Rhode island 2 barred rock and 2 silver laced wyandottes!

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG]

Call it the beginning of November and 6 weeks they will be full feathered and now it is December 15th and ready to go out in the coop. Get a larger box and keep them in the basement until its hard to contain them. I love the idea of an appliance store washer box or refrigerator box. Go to the grocery store and get a pumpkin box now. Good luck and how exciting.

6. shanilynn2010

Nov 3, 2010
    georgia
    Thank you Steve!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by