Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by coolcanoechic, Nov 21, 2011.

1. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

I am a newbie so I was wondering what makes one want to raise fancy birds?
    Just curious. I was thinking about getting some after I get the hang of all this with some regular breeds first.

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:We enjoy showing, and talking about the birds we breed with others who share the interest.

3. coolcanoechic

Quote:We enjoy showing, and talking about the birds we breed with others who share the interest.

Does it matter to you if they lay or not? I am really new to this, but the beautiful birds do pique my curiosity. I just haven't got a clue about them, but I must admit, I have been looking at information on them more and more. I think I may be getting hooked.

4. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    Trust me you are hook ! for me its the birds the people and the joy of raiseing the best bird you can for showing and trying to breed birds to the standered and i have a passion for poultry .

5. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    Quote:

6. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma

Does it matter to you if they lay or not? I am really new to this, but the beautiful birds do pique my curiosity. I just haven't got a clue about them, but I must admit, I have been looking at information on them more and more. I think I may be getting hooked.

they lay very well (4-5 eggs a week), and often are used in breeder pens until past the age of 12-18 months to insure what they finish and mature into. test matings are ran to make determination if they worth breeding from. If chosen as breeders they stay hens often up tp ages of 4 sometimes 5, cocks until an average of 7. I have yet to see a hatchery bird that will lay worth a flip past the age of 2.

7. coolcanoechic

Quote:Does it matter to you if they lay or not? I am really new to this, but the beautiful birds do pique my curiosity. I just haven't got a clue about them, but I must admit, I have been looking at information on them more and more. I think I may be getting hooked.

they lay very well (4-5 eggs a week), and often are used in breeder pens until past the age of 12-18 months to insure what they finish and mature into. test matings are ran to make determination if they worth breeding from. If chosen as breeders they stay hens often up tp ages of 4 sometimes 5, cocks until an average of 7. I have yet to see a hatchery bird that will lay worth a flip past the age of 2.

Wow, I am learning more and more here every day.
    I have a small coop with run and was thinking about trying some of the smaller birds. Any recommendations for a beginner?
    Thanks so much.
    BTW, you can see my new coop in the construction thread. I would add a link, but I have not figured that out yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by