Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DNCXmom, Jan 28, 2012.

1. DNCXmom

DNCXmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    Northern Califorina
    I have a friend, who recently hatched some eggs at her boyfriends house. Apparently some of them hatched, and where not walking correctly after...a day or so? So apparently, according to the Bf and his family, there is nothing that can be done, and they kill the babys. I find this to be upsetting. I wanted to know if this is correct? Is there something that some babys have that causes them to have problems and the solution is to kill them.

Thanks!

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG] Splint legs are very common and is has to do with lack of proteins in the egg layer. She had vitamin deficiency in the first place and the baby's chance to survive is nill to not if you do not work with them day to day for weeks. Culling the birds is more humane than to see them starve or die a little each day bc they can not eat or grow right. It is survival of the fittest in the animal world and they would not make it anyway. Best of luck and [​IMG]

3. DNCXmom

DNCXmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    Northern Califorina
    Thank you for explaining. I just wanted to make sure that they where right. Sometimes people kill things, because they are uneducated in the matter. I will let my friend know the cause, she was just taking their word for it. They told her it was a disease or something I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by