Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by henney penny, Feb 9, 2013.

1. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I have a bantam cochin hen that was sitting on two eggs for two days,my question is I took the eggs and want to start keeping them untill I get 6 so they will all hatch at the same time.did the two I took already start to develope and will not grow any further or are they ok to keep and put under her later?

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I think that will be too late, its best to collect them first before they can sit on it.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You are dealing with living things. It’s real hard to predict exactly what will happen. Personally I would not use those eggs.

Eggs will develop a little if they are just stored in the mid to upper 80’s, let alone incubation temperatures. They won’t hatch at those temperatures but they will develop enough to hatch early. So them developing a little won’t absolutely definitely kill them. But I’d be real concerned that those have developed enough that taking the heat away would kill them. I’d expect it to kill them. Body parts have started forming and maybe functioning. I don’t know that it will kill them with absolute certainly but I’d be real concerned. If you store them warm then they may not die, but they would almost certainly hatch early. How much early? I don’t have a clue.

I think you are going to be a lot better off starting all the eggs you want her to hatch at the same time. It’s possible you could do something with those two eggs, but it just gets way too complicated and way too iffy for me to even consider doing it.

If you are one of those people that really enjoys the drama and really likes to make your life difficult, go for it. You’ll be in your element. But for me, I like things simpler and I try to be successful. I don’t go out of my way to reduce my chances for success.

4. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Thank you for the answer,I don`t like drama in my life so I will start with fresh eggs.

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    LOL! I dont like drama either!! Let us know when you set!! Come and join the Easter Hatchalong!

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm sorry. That drama comment was uncalled for. I have no reason to think that might apply to you at all.

7. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    *headscratch* I don't think the drama comment referred to BYCers, but to the potential for drama involved in hatching multiple set date eggs. I know hatching can be very dramatic! :) :D

8. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I ordered 16 frizzled bantam cochin eggs from ebay,comming from S.C to northern maine, should be here Thursday.Depending how many broddies I have they may go under them,I really miss incubating though

I won 16 frizzled bantam cochin eggs on ebay,comming from S.C to northern Maine.Should be Thursday.Really missing my incubator and the fun of hatching

9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Awesome!!! yay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by