Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SJUDD, Feb 26, 2013.

1. SJUDD

SJUDD Chillin' With My Peeps

Good day. My Mallard drake has basically ignored me for the first 6 or so months of his life and all the sudden he is showing interest. I was squatting in the yard pulling weeds the other day and he ran (waddled) up to me, hopped up on my leg and tucked his head into my under arm. Then a couple days later, I was taking everything out of the pen to clean it and I felt something on my leg and he was sort of pecking at my pants while walking next to me. Every day now when I put them in their pen, he stands at the door until I put my finger through the holes and he rubs his head on me then bites my finger. I cannot figure out if this is loving behaviour or aggressive behaviour. Any ideas??

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like he is becoming sexually mature, and maybe want you in his harem. [​IMG]

3. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    [​IMG]

4. SJUDD

OMG! That is what my friend said this morning!!! That is a little... okay a lot gross! HA HA

5. SJUDD

I totally love him.... he is a sweetie... now I am a little concerned though... I don't want to turn on a duck!! LOL

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    When my drake became sexually mature [he was raised in the house by my dh and I since his mama rejected him] he had 3 girls of his own but no that wasn't enough he wanted me too, i could not turn my back on him, he would literally try to mount me from behind, It was horrible, Some on BYC even rec. putting him down, but I was in love so I just kept coming back at him, every time he would try anything I would either pick him up and lay him on his back or flatten him out on the ground, this is a Muscovy and he was big and strong, but I persevered and he is just the best drake ever now. the thing is to be constant and not let him get away with anything that is sexual climbing on you trying to grab you from behind. . Does he have his own girls?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  7. SJUDD

Yes I have 2 female Mallards, 1 female Cayuga and another female that I don't know what breed she is. At least I can say he hasn't tried to mount me yet. :)

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    He may not ever get to the point mine was at, i hope not, just be ready to take action if he does, even though Opie had his girls he was still more interested in me at that time. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by