question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by luluann, Mar 6, 2013.

1. luluann

luluann Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    I am wondering how you all look through your eggs. Mine are brown and I can not see inside them. I do not understand why? Any suggestions?

2. smithfarms

smithfarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2013
    Amory, MS
    What type of light sorse are you using as a candler?

3. luluann

Dec 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    Um... a 75 Watt light bulb might be 65

4. Crooked-Creek

Crooked-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2013
    North Texas
    We use a common 65 watt light with an aluminum bell and cut a peice of cardboard in a circular shape that matches the outside diameter of the bell light. We tape the card board to the light and cut a small hole in the center of the catdboard about 1" diameter. just that an egg can sit in.

5. smithfarms

Mar 6, 2013
    Amory, MS
    If you us that you need a higher watteg bulb to make it brighter. I made my candler with two coffie cans and a light swich and a 8 foot cord from lowes. I will put a pic on here hold on.

6. Crooked-Creek

Feb 21, 2013
    North Texas
    Oops, Sent early!! LoL. With brown eggs you won't be able to see as good as you can with white eggs. If the egg glows after two weeks while candling, its not fertile. If it looks too dark while candling, and you can't see through the egg, it's probably full of chicken. LoL! ! Make sure you don't leave the light on for very long with the card board taped to it. It's probably a fire hazard left un attended!!!

7. smithfarms

Mar 6, 2013
    Amory, MS
    I am unable to put a pic on here mobliely. That is why when I made my candler i put a switch on it so i would not have to unpluge it every time and so I can look at the egg and turn it of fast so that the egg wont heat up.

1 person likes this.
  8. luluann

Dec 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    Really full of chicken!!! I got more baby chicks that may hatch!! Is it OK to do a staggered hatch

9. smithfarms

Mar 6, 2013
    Amory, MS
    what do you mean by staggered

10. Crooked-Creek

Feb 21, 2013
    North Texas
    We do staggered hatch's, but we keep moving the babies around in groups based on their progress and size. For instance, a week old baby will pick on a new baby. You need to keep them in groups that match their size, at least till they get old enough to hold their own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by