Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mcarroll616, Mar 14, 2013.

1. mcarroll616

mcarroll616 Chillin' With My Peeps

In a perfect world, I would like 1 rooster and about 11 or 12 hens. I went out about a week ago and got 12 chicks out of the pullet and red pullet bin at Tractor Supply. What do you think my chances are that any of those are roos? What would be the best way to assure I have a rooster in that flock? buy some more from the straight run bin? I don't want to have to get rid of any! I just need advice :)

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    If I were you, I'd wait and see if any of your pullets end up being mis-sexed cockerels. Hatcheries get it right 90-some percent of the time. They almost never get it wrong with sexlinks. So, if you don't have a sexing whoops in the bunch, then find a cockerel seeking a home when your pullets are nearing laying age. Cockerels and young roosters are always available and you can likely choose from a wide variety. Not having him around until the ladies are ready for him is a plus, IMO.

3. mcarroll616

That's what I was kind of thinking when picking out the birds. Surely they cant be right about all of them, but it's a better shot I will have mostly hens than if I buy some straight run too... Then my husband started complaining a little about the possibility that they are all girls and he would like a rooster too.

How do you even go about getting a rooster? I am sure people give them away, I read about it on here all the time, but I don't know how to go about finding one.

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    If you go on the Where am I/Where are You board for your area, you'll "meet" your BYC neighbors. Odds are there are local breeders on there who often have surplus males that don't make the cut for their breeding program but are just fine for a backyard flock protector. Also, in a few months, folks will be identifying the cockerels in their spring chick purchases and there will be a flood of offerings on Craigslist. Truly, they aren't difficult to find.

5. mcarroll616

Started looking on craigslist, just for fun. Makes me want more chickens. I could buy laying ones for not much money! :) My husband is going to kill me...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by