Question?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by albird101, Oct 14, 2013.

1. albird101

albird101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    I got my rooster around 1-2 months ago and he's been mating my hens like crazy!!! She laid her first egg today, and she's one of the best Broodies I ever had she usually collects a clutch of eggs, 7-8 eggs and she'll begin sitting on them, she's a old english/dutch bantam, I was wondering what are the chances of her hatching chicks especially since, fall season began 3 weeks ago?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I've 'hen raised' winter chicks, and provided with a dry, draft free coop they can be raised successfully. A lot depends on the mothering instincts of the hen involved.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

I have had late fall chicks, but I prefer them to hatch a little earlier so that they get some size before the weather gets very cold.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined!

5. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

It all depends on the hen, if she is always on the nest except to poo and eat and drink, then your chances are very good. What you got to loose by letting her try?
    Welcome and enjoy.
    Steve[​IMG]

6. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    Welcome to BYC, glad you joined us! x2 on All Henned Up's advice. [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] go for it, if she is a good mama, she will keep her chicks warm enough.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'd say pretty good. I've had hens hatch and raise chicks in the middle of winter before with no problems. Just make sure she has a sheltered, dry place to raise them in. Good luck with the hatch!

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Allbird, I don’t know where you are located or what kind of weather you are talking about, but unless you are somewhere pretty extreme, I’d say she has a good chance of hatching the eggs. I’ve seen a broody take two breaks a day for over an hour each during the heat of summer, but in cooler weather a broody might take one break a day and that is much shorter, sometimes less than 15 minutes. They are pretty good about regulating stuff like that.

Another possible problem is that a rooster might possibly have a drop in fertility when he is in molt or during cold weather. I recently hatched 7 out of 8 eggs under a broody. The rooster was in molt when those eggs were laid, so the key word in that is that he MIGHT have a drop in fertility. There is often a big difference between MIGHT and absolutely will 100% of each and every time.

You are always at risk of losing a chick when a broody raises them, just like in a brooder. In extreme weather the risks go up. Again, I don’t know what your weather will look like in a month or what your facilities look like, but if she has a decent place to take them out of the weather if she needs to, your odds of success are pretty good. If you really want the chicks I wouldn’t let the time of year stop me, but realize it may be a bit harder for her than in the better weather and you might (Not absolutely for sure but might) have less success than you are used to.

Good luck!

10. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    SORRY POSTED IN THE WRONG PLACEI have 2 broody buff orps who were friends Both hadchicks withi a week of each other One nested i a dry2 x4 x 2 tractor The other on the bottom of a nestcoop with a screen floor Other chickens now roost at night above thems. so its cold and not clean in there Could i move them into thd tractor with the others? 11 chicks total.They do free range but what about when it gets colder 60s now.They are 2 weeks old

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by