Question!?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by albird101, Dec 27, 2013.

1. albird101

albird101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    So we recently moved to a larger area with more land, I've noticed a big change in predators' now we have possums, ground hogs, many different species of predatory birds' and some racoons, So far the racoons and possums haven't been coming lately since our dogs usually chase them away, but as for the hawks they been a threat, every time they swoop my dogs chases them so they never got a chance to get my chickens, tomarrow we will be going to pick out larger breeds of chickens, I was thinking of game chickens since a read they deter alot of hawks because the roosters are very hearty protecting there flock, so what should I pick a game breed or some other breeds?

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Oh no I believe you have never seen what a Hawk can pickup and first thing is it needs to kill it's intended victim this is a true danger this is why I encourage the Ravens to hang around even if means a little corn to keep them around [​IMG] .....

Genies are another deterrent but can also themselves be the target [​IMG].......

The only chickens I have never lost are because they live in a coop with top wire and sides and with wire going in to the ground with rocks on the side [​IMG]

It is just a never ending battle and always keep the shotgun clean and oiled is the only way I keep the bobcat's and fox from thinking this is a smorgasbord of a fast food hangout [​IMG]

Enjoy your place [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

3. ChicknsRock

ChicknsRock Overrun With Chickens

Oct 4, 2013
    Welcome!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC.

6. maxna7

maxna7 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    Delta b.c
    Welcome!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! You might want to try posting on the Predators and Pests forum about breed choices for areas with big hawk problems. Game breeds usually don't lay that well, so if you are interested in egg production you might want to consider getting roosters of one breed like games, and hens of a different breed.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by