question!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by albird101, Feb 3, 2014.

1. albird101

albird101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    So my hen went broody recently like 4 days ago, and were moving homes on the 14th and I don't want to disturb her or anything whitch will cause her not to sit on her eggs, she's in a bin with bedding and her eggs, I was wondering what's the best way to transport her without disturbing her or her sitting on the eggs?

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

How far are you moving?

I would put her on fake eggs in a nest in a dog crate and put the incubating eggs in an egg carton and wrap them up in a thick towel, perhaps in a warmed cooler if it is a long drive.

It is still a risk, but it might work, depends on the hen.

I had a broody that I moved at least three times around my property (I was having trouble deciding where the best spot for her would be) and she never minded. I had another broody that I moved just once, and that was it for her, she wouldn't set any more.

3. albird101

Jun 2, 2013
    were not moving that far it's proably a 8-10 minute drive, I was thinking of moving her during the night time since she will be drowsy and can't really see, and I'll just put her in her new coop with her other feathered friends but, I'm not sure if she'll take it fine

4. albird101

Jun 2, 2013
    Plus she's in a bin with all her eggs so I'll be moving the bin with her eggs and herself, so it's less stressful on her

5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I was just worried that moving her on the eggs, she might break a few, just trying to shift her weight when the car turns corners and such. That is why I thought the eggs should be taken out for the car trip.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by