1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by texasfinest, Mar 6, 2014.

1. texasfinest

texasfinest Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2014
    texas
    If my chicks are 2 weeks old and I've finished my fully enclosed coop can I move them in there as long as I keep the heat lamp in there or is it best to keep them indoors for another 4 weeks? Any help would be great!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's a personal preference thing but I move them to the coop when they come out of the hatcher as long as the indoor brooder house temperature is above freezing.
    Given a reliable heat source, they'll be fine. A broody can raise them in cold temps and all she does is provide a warm spot. I would think, in most areas of Texas they could go out as day olds.

3. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    It depends on the temp inside your coop, drafts and if they are feathered or not. It is too cold here for me to put unfeathered chicks in my coop even with a heat lamp. It just wouldn't be warm or draftless enough.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I agree with both. It depends on how you are set up. My brooder is in an unheated coop but I had chicks less than a week old in it last week with outside temperatures in the single digits Fahrenheit. The brooder was wrapped up pretty tightly and the chicks stayed real close to the heat.

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Hens can and do brood chicks below freezing.

[​IMG]

And sometimes walk away from them for a while.
    [​IMG]

A few heat emitters will work just as well unless it is extremely cold in the building.
    [​IMG]

Inside the unheated building in November
    [​IMG]

Outside the unheated building in November.
    [​IMG]

Healthy chicks aren't that fragile.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  6. texasfinest

Mar 6, 2014
    texas
    Wow thanks for all the quick responses. As far as my coop goes its pretty draft less except the vented area around the roof but I can close them off...and the tin roof warms it pretty well.but I will still keep a heat source as well.

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    DON'T close off any ventilation. Good ventilation is as important as food and water. Nothing (except anaerobic bacteria) can live without air.
    A simple border of cardboard or sheet metal like the photo above will keep any possible draft off of baby chicks. Yours aren't baby chicks any more.

8. texasfinest

Mar 6, 2014
    texas
    Very true canoe! I didn't mean completely close it off just if the weather turned bad which in my part of Texas is hardly ever under freezing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by