Question??

spydertoys

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Munfordville, Kentucky
I have a chick that hatched yesterday. His toes were curled and I have corrected that by taping them..I took the tape off and he is holding them correctly now. The problem is that he is throwing one leg out behind him so I still can't get him to stand properly. I've never seen that one before..any suggestions??

I've splinted his leg in a bent position..doesn't seem to be working either.

Last edited:
he might have a slipped tendon sorry i can not help, we had a chick with spradle leg and a slipped tendon. check his leg to see if you feel something out of place.

No..it seems fine..the power went off during the incubation process and I believe that may have had something to do with it. He has complete movement and I can stand him up but when I let go he falls over and kicks his leg back...I'm afraid he is doomed. He is strong and healthy otherwise..he scabbles around the cage and reaches food and water...but it is pathetic to watch.

You can maybe try and treat it as spradle leg. Some chicks do ok and survive fine if seperated, and helped in the beginning. That's up to you though if you want to. Otherwise he will get trampled and picked on.

Well..of course I haven't given up yet..a true die hard...lol. He seems to be at least trying to get his feet under him today..I was even able to let go for a second when I held him in a standing position.

He is a long way from walking but standing is progress. He is going to tip over because he leans forward too far. But I feel as though a bit of progress has been made.

If I could find the darn plug for my digital I would include some pics..but my neighbor helped me pack when I moved and for the life of me I don't know what it got packed with..got the camera..but not the cord to upload to my puter...still looking though..so maybe.

I worked with this chick 3 times yesterday for about an hour each time. This morning I went in to cheeck him and he was sitting up on his own. Now when he falls over he can get back to a sitting position. I still have one foot taped (the one he was throwing backwards) but he is standing and trying to walk!!

He still bends that foot backwards..but not the whole leg now. I am amazed at how he has progressed just since yesterday. I thought he was a goner for sure..but now I have confidence that he will be in with the others in a day or two.
big_smile.png

I just cut a piece of a drinking straw and flattened half of it and taped it to the bottom of his foot so that he has some of it hanging out behind his foot. now he can't bend his foot backwards.

I am very proud of myself...lol!!

Last edited:
Well folks..this story is over. Since he was able to walk around quite well with his new "Straw foot"I put him in with the other babies.

The straw fell off a while ago and he is running around like a little idiot with his new found mobility. He is holding his foot properly. I will keep an eye on him..but he is looking good and obviously enjoying being back in with the others.

Back
Top Bottom