Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by j4Vu, Aug 19, 2014.

1. j4Vu

j4Vu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2014
    S.E. Portland, Oregon
    We have four Barred Rock who have given us our first Egg on the 16Th of August. Since then we have had a egg a day. This is where my question comes in play.
    first it started out with just two who's combs and waddles had turned bright red and then they began the singing. since the rest have also began turning bright red, We can see that they are nesting in the boxes but the first Egg was found on the ground very small but in good condition. the other two not so good. Second was in the nesting box but soft to the touch, third was on the ground again but this time under the nesting box.
    It was cracked like if it had fallen, our nesting boxes have a gourd across the front no way it could have rolled out. I thought maybe she got out to early or went in to soon. Maybe you could help us to understand if these are normal for the first few times or we need correction.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    All of what you are seeing is very much normal with birds who are just starting to lay - it can take a bit for them to figure out all the steps involved in egg production - both internal and external. There is a lot that goes into how and where to lay an egg for a new layer. What are you currently feeding? When you say you can see that they have been nesting in the boxes - is this during the day or are you seeing evidence that they are using the nests as a sleeping place at night?

3. j4Vu

j4Vu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2014
    S.E. Portland, Oregon
    FIrst let me start by thanking tou for taking the time to reviews my post.
    Let me also let you know that we have four Amerecaunas they are 16 weeks old. They have been with the Barred Rocks for give or take 2 1/2 Months.
    The feed we used was Purina starter. We have just started Payback Egg Layer Ration Pellets.
    About them nesting through out the night. No they do not. its a funny situation we had a smaller coop with run but after getting the four Amerecaunas my husband built a bigger and better coop attached to the other side of run. So here is situation after the new coop was done the four smaller chicks started roosting in there and the older Chicks are staying in the old coop but go to new coop to nest and lay eggs.
    Since first posting I figured out how the secound egg was craked. I happened to be checking in on them when I saw one nesting only instead of in box she was on top. So after she layed the egg and got up it must of rolled off and that would explain the crack.
    I talked to her and pet her then moved her down in the nesting box.
    I also have a question about the new feed we started is it going to be ok for younger Amerecaunas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by