1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chicky Crazy, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Chicky Crazy

Chicky Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
    How much food does the average hen eat in a day?

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    There are so many variables that there is not a one for all answer. It depends on the individuals energy needs and what your feed offers.

Are you having concerns or just curiosity?

3. LanceTN

LanceTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    A quick Google search shows on average a chicken eats a quarter pound of food a day

4. Chicky Crazy

Feb 27, 2013
    curiosity

5. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Me too, guess we're birds of a feather. When my girls were young pullets, I wanted to be too scientific, and not waste food. Went by Storey's guide to see how much to place in free feeding feeder - in a covered secured run. The estimated amounts listed never seemed true. So now I just put several scoops in and watch til it gets low. After a year of experience, I still cannot tell you how much per bird, but have little waste to discard at the end of a week. [​IMG]

6. Chicky Crazy

Feb 27, 2013
    I just got the Storey chicken book. Love it!

7. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Me too. But I also have several references in my "Chicken Library". Storey's book covers so much info and has been a great resource, and the only criticism I offer, is it seems that some of the information is based on larger flock management experiences. The only example I can recall is the nest/hen ratio …Storey recommends 1 nest for every 4-5. One of my other favorites is the Dummie book on Raising chickens. The information it offers seems to offer more personal & small flock experience - it recommended 1/2 ratio of nests. Wish I had trusted it with my coop build and included one more nest. I have 2 for 6…but that didn't take into account 2 frequently broody girls.

8. Chicky Crazy

Feb 27, 2013
    Ill have to order that book from the library :celebrate

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    No offense but there's no such thing as an average hen. A caged Serama will eat about a fifth or less of what a LF JG will eat in a larger run.

A LF egg breed at 20 weeks will eat about 0.14 lbs a day. A LF meat breed at the same age will eat 0.41 lbs.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    As for books. 'The Chicken Health Handbook', by Gail Damerow is a must for any chicken keepers bookshelf.

IMHO, 'City Chicks', by Patricia Foreman for small urban/suburban flocks, 'The Small-Scale Poultry Flock', by Harvey Ussery for a bit larger flocks and 'Talking Chicken: Practical Advice on Heirloom Chickens & Eggs', by Kelly Klober are superior books.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by